/ Chercheur·es et enseignant·es-chercheur·es associé·es
Liu, NengChercheur associé sur projet avec le LIA. Professor, Department of Sociology, Peking University. Deputy Director, Center for Sociological Research and Development Studies
- Urbanization and Social Spaces
- Social Movements and Collective Behaviors
- Deviance, Crime, and Social Control
- Lifestyle and Consumption
- Youth Studies
- Quantitative Methods : Survey and Questionnaire Design
- Public Policy and Evaluation Studies
- Urban Sociology
- The Sociology of Consumption
- Deviance, Crime, and Social Control
- English for Sociology
- Social Movements Theory
- Key Terms in Sociology
- Empirical Research Cycle
- Urban Social Problems
- B. A. in sociology, July 1992, department of sociology, Nankai University (Tianjin),
- M. A. in sociology, July 1995, department of sociology, Nankai University (Tianjin) [Master Thesis : The Anatomy of Contemporary Capitalist Societies : on Daniel Bell’s Social Thoughts.]
- Ph. D in sociology, July 1998, department of sociology, Peking University (Beijing) [Doctorial Dissertation : Governmental Processes at the Local Level : a Case Study of North Town.]
- August 2013, PhD supervisor, Department of Sociology, Peking University
- November 2004 to June 2005, UC Berkeley, Senior Visiting Scholar
- August 2012, Professor, Department of Sociology, Peking University
- August 2004, Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, Peking University
- July 2000, Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, Peking University
- July 1998, Assistant Professor, Institute of Sociology and Anthropology, Peking University
- Chinese Lifestyle : Coca Cola, Hong Kong Telecom, Erickson/IFTF, 1999-2001
- B-to-B E-Commerce : IFTF, 2002
- Beijing Food Retailing Outlets Survey : Calbee Corporation [Japan], 2003
- Consumption Pattern of Urban Family : Calbee Corporation [Japan], 2003
- Movie-going Behavior : Orio [South Korea], 2004
- Domestic Space Culture : GfK/Social Solutions, 2004
- Beauty Culture : P&G/IFTF, 2005
- Digital Entertainment : Accenture/Social Solutions, 2005
- Chinese Family Lifestyles, 5-Year Follow Up : IFTF, 2005-2010
- Young Chinese Girls Personal Care Practices : Clean and Clear/HLB, 2006
- Corporation Internal Communication and Cooperation Patterns : HP/Social Solutions, 2006
- Innovation Center : Beijing Hualian Group, 2007
- China Trends : Nokia/IFTF, 2008
- Family Lifestyle : Sichuan Changhong, 2009
- Chinese Small Business Behavior : Nokia/Truth, 2010
- Ecology of Well-being : IFTF, 2011
- Future Consumer 2020 : IFTF, 2012
- Maker City Shenzhen : IFTF, 2014
- Liu, Neng, ed. 2012. The Strength of Alliance. Beijing : Peking University Press.
- Liu, Neng. 2008. Perceiving Local Governmental Process from Hierarchical and Social Network Perspectives : A Case Study of North Town. Beijing : Social Sciences Literature Press.
- Liu, Neng. 2004. Evaluating a Public-Good Program : A Case Study of Project Hope’s Teacher Training Program, with an Eye on Lucent-Sponsored Session. Shanghai : Wenhui Press.
- Liu, Neng. 2002. Translation. Frontiers in Social Movements Theory [Aldon D. Morris and Carol McClurge Muller, eds.] Beijing : Peking University Press.
- Liu, Neng, Mary O’Hara-Devereaux, Robert Mittman, and Lydia Mutch. 2002. China’s Generations : The Transformation of Daily Life. Beijing and San Francisco : Center for the Future of China.
- Liu, Neng. 2002a. “The Sandwich Generation : Knowledge-Worker Pioneers of China’s Changing Workplace.” Pp. 123-139 in Mary O’Hara-Devereaux, Robert Mittman, and Ma Rong. eds. China Five-Year Forecast : 2002. Beijing and San Francisco : Center for the Future of China.
- Liu, Neng. 2002b. “A New Generational Scheme for Contemporary China.” People’s China, 2002 (12) : 19-25.
- Liu, Neng. 2003a. “Contemporary Chinese Lifestyle : A Multi-Dimensional Depiction.” The Journal of Guangxi University of Nationality, 2003 (4) : 29-37.
- Liu, Neng. 2003b. “Perceiving Juvenile Delinquency from the Point of View of the Sociology of Deviance [Part I].” Youth Studies, 2003 (11) : 30-38.
- Liu, Neng. 2003c. “Perceiving Juvenile Delinquency from the Point of View of the Sociology of Deviance [Part II].” Youth Studies, 2003 (12) : 32-40.
- Liu, Neng. 2003d. “Beijing Rising : The Future of Urban Movements in China”. Harvard International Review, Vol. XXV, No. 2. (Internet edition).
- Liu, Neng. 2004a. “Hierarchy and Social Network : Exploring Power Mechanisms within Selected Fields of Chinese Social Spaces.” Social Sciences in Henan, 2004 (1) : 25-31.
- Liu, Neng. 2004b. “The Willingness of Ordinary Urban Chinese Citizens Toward Participating in Social Donation Activities and Their Behavioral Preferences.” Sociological Research, 2004 (2) : 68-78.
- Liu, Neng. 2004c. “Grievance Interpretation, Mobilizing Structures, and Rational Choice : A Theoretical Analysis of the Possibility of Collective Actions in Urban China.” Open Times, 2004 (4) : 56-81.
- Liu, Neng. 2005a. “Rural Migrant Population and Urban Social Security : Theoretical Statements and Policy Implications”. The Journal of Jiangsu Administration Institute, 2005 (1) : 63-67.
- Liu, Neng. 2005b. “Demographic Distribution and Social Welfare Enjoyment : Status of Social Development of Chinese Youth Aged 15 to 24”. Youth Studies, 2005 (4) : 13-23.
- Liu, Neng. 2005c. “Methodological Strategies for Field Research : Using Rural Consuming Practice Investigation as an Example.” The Journal of Jiangsu Administration Institute, 2005 (3) : 62-66.
- Liu, Neng. 2005d. “AIDS, Stigma, and Social Discrimination : A Quantitative Analysis of Two Groups of Villagers in Mid China.” Sociological Research, 2005 (6) : 136-164.
- Liu, Neng. 2005e. “Socio-Economic Transition, Conflict, and Government in China”. Pp. 132-154 in Zhang Yunlin, ed., State and Civil Society in the Context of Transition. Beijing : Current Affairs Press.
- Liu, Neng. 2006. “Consumption in the Vision of Contemporary Sociology”. The Journal of Jiangsu Administration Institute, 2006 (5) : 68-73.
- Liu, Neng. 2007. “A Theoretical Model of Collective Action in Rural Chinese Communities : Using Rural Tax Revolt as an Example”. Academia Bimestris, 2007 (5) : 51-55.
- Liu, Neng. 2008a. “Globalization and Netizens in Changing Chinese Society”. Pp. 107-132 in Shigeto Sonoda ed., Touring Contemporary Chinese Society : Voices from Chinese Sociologists. Tokyo : lwanami Press.
- Liu, Neng. 2008b. “Theoretical Thoughts on Contemporary Chinese Massive Collective Actions : Observations from Empirical Cases”. Open Times, 2008 (3) : 110-123.
- Liu, Neng. 2009a. “Field Research Methods Reconsidered : Reflections from Re-reading the ‘Introduction’ of Professor Fei Shiao-Tung’s Earthbound China [English Version]”. Pp. 789-798 in Ma Rong, Liu Shiding, Qiu Zeqi, and Pan Naigu, eds., Fei Shiao-Tung and Chinese Sociology and Anthropology. Beijing : Social Sciences Literature Press.
- Liu, Neng. 2009b. “Collective Actions in Changing Contemporary Chinese Society : An Overview of Three Waves of Collective Actions in the Last Three Decades”. Academia Bimestris, 2009 (4) : 146-152.
- Liu, Neng. 2009c. “Social Movements Theory : Paradigmatic Shifts and Its Relevance with Contemporary Chinese Field Social Research”. The Journal of Jiangsu Administration Institute, 2009 (4) : 76-82.
- Liu, Neng. 2010. “Adaptation or Governance : Drafting Social Destinations in the Process of Rapid Urbanization”. Thinking, 2010 (4) : 30-35.
- Liu, Neng. 2011. “Contemporary Chinese Mass Collective Actions : Image Change and the Reconstruction of a new Classification Framework.” The Journal of Jiangsu Administration Institute, 2011 (2) : 53-59.
- Di, Lei, and Liu Neng. 2013. “The Social Formation of a Residential Enclave for Migrant Population in Suburban Beijing.” The Journal of Jiangsu Administration Institute, 2013 (1) : 71-77.
- Di, Lei, and Liu Neng. 2014. “Social Interactions and Community Identity in a Heterogeneous Residential Enclave in Suburban Beijing : The Case Study of Sha Village”. Journal of Harbin Institute of Technology (Social Sciences Edition), 2014 (2) : 25-29.
- March 2014—Living Situation and Policy Needs for People Living with Hemophilia. A “Friends of People Living with Hemophilia” Project.
- February 2014—Seafood Commodity Chains Research in Beijing. A James Cook University Joint Research Project.
- November 2013—Everyday Life-world of People Living with Disability. A Beijing Association of Disable People Project
- April 2012— The Social Dynamics of Seafood Consumption. A James Cook University Joint Research Project.
- June 2011—Research on Prefecture-level Social Construction. A Chinese Youth League Joint Research Project.
- January 2011—Para Data and Survey Data Quality Management. A National Science Foundation Project.
- November 2009—Socio-Economic Determinants of the Scale of Drug Abuse Population : A Quantitative Analysis of 60 Counties in 6 Provinces/Municipality Using HLM Modeling. A Ministry of Education Programmed Project, Humanity and Social Sciences Section.
- December 2008—In-Depth Qualitative Study of Family Life-Style in Four Chinese Cities. A Changhong Electronics (Sichuan) sponsored research.
- September, 2006—HP Halo Discovery and the Internal Communication and Cooperation Patterns of Multi-Site Large Corporations. A Social Solutions (USA) sponsored research.
- September, 2006—Migrant Population’s Pattern of Social Adaptation at Beijing’s Fringe Area and Its Social Control Implications. A Beijing Social Sciences Foundation sponsored research.
- August 2006—Social Impacts of Cartoon and Animation on Young Audience : A Survey of Beijing Students. A sub-project of Chinese Social Sciences Foundation sponsored research.
- April 2006—Ethnographic Research on Digital Entertainment Experiences in Selected Beijing Households. A Social Solutions (USA) sponsored research.
- September 2005— Evaluation of UNICEF-Sponsored Planning and Monitoring Program for Promoting Chinese Women and Children’s Rights at Provincial and County Level, Final Term. A State Council’s Working Committee of Women and Children sponsored research.
- August 2005—5-Year Follow-up Research on Chinese Family Life-Styles. An Institute for the Future (USA) sponsored research.
- September 2004—Evaluation of CYDF-Organized Red Ribbon Caring Action Program in Key AIDS-Hit Areas, Henan and Shanxi Provinces. A China Youth Development Foundation sponsored research.
- June 2004—Movie-Going Patterns of Major Population Segments in Beijing’s Zhongguancun Area. An Oreo Roscher Consulting, Ltd. (South Korea and USA) sponsored research.
- April 2004—Needs Analysis, Problems Identification, and the Construction of a Multi-Layer Social Support System : Studies on China’s Youth Development of the Age Group from 15 to 24. A Beijing All China Intelligence International Consulting, Ltd. Sponsored research.
- November 2003—The Implication of Digital Technology in Project Hope Primary Schools in West China : Performance Evaluation of CYDF-Organized Lucent Internet Classroom Program, Sichuan Province. A China Youth Development Foundation sponsored research.
- October 2003—Consumption Patter of Urban Chinese Families. A Calbee Foundation (Japan) sponsored research.
- April 2003—Study on the Reform of Governance Structure in China’s Public Hospitals. An Institute of Health Economics, Ministry of Health, sponsored research
- April 2003— Performance Evaluation of Project Hope’s Lucent Sponsored Educational Program, First Round. A China Youth Development Foundation sponsored research.
- April 2002—Efficiency Assessment and Institutional Innovation of China’s Annual Social Donation Activities. A Ministry of Civil Affairs sponsored research.